Visiting Faculty Fellowship
Call for Applications / 2024-2025
CASA Cuba is designed for highly motivated students interested in a wide range of disciplines who wish to immerse themselves in the political, social, cultural and economic context of modern-day Cuba. The CASA Cuba program maintains an academic presence at the Galeria Haydee Santamaria (The “Gallery”) through its collaboration with Casa de las Américas. Students take a combination of courses taught at the Gallery and at the University of Havana. All courses are taught in Spanish.
CASA encourages faculty from its member and associate member institutions to apply for a Faculty-in-Residence Fellowship position, wherein the instructor be present onsite in Cuba for one month during either the Fall ’24 or Spring ’25 semester and be engaged in local academic activities of relevance to Cuba’s historical, cultural, artistic, political, economic or social context.
Eligible candidates must demonstrate:
- Familiarity with CASA’s academic mission and values;
- Interest in advancing study abroad and the internationalization of higher education;
- Willingness to engage with CASA students, staff and faculty in Cuban context;
- Expertise in a subject matter relevant to the Cuban context and CASA Cuba curriculum;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Familiarity and comfortable with living and working in the Cuban context, including complying with associated OFAC rules and regulations.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain an academic visa, sponsored by our Cuban host institution, Casa de las Américas. CASA Cuba will provide Visiting Faculty a desk space and WiFi at the gallery, access to Cuban health insurance, and assistance with finding adequate housing within walking distance of the CASA Gallery.
The Visiting Faculty will be expected to offer a (hybrid) public talk both at the CASA Gallery / Casa de las Américas and the University of Havana on a subject of their current research/writing project, and will offer one internal workshop to a selected audience that is of benefit to the Cuban academic community working in the same area of expertise as the candidate. The candidate should also be available to advise and meet with students participating in the CASA Cuba program, and provide a written report (or other substantive creative deliverable) that may be used to document and promote CASA academic activities in Cuba to prospective students, faculty and partners. All activities are to be held in Spanish.
As part of the month-long visit, CASA will provide:
- the cost of round-trip economy airfare for the faculty member;
- suitable furnished housing within walking distance of the CASA Gallery in Havana;
- Cuban health insurance;
- WiFi at the Gallery and a Cuban SIM card for cell data service
Individuals interested in applying for the 2024-25 Faculty-in-Residence fellowship position should submit an application addressed to Asabe Poloma, Ph.D., Chair, CASA Cuba Divisional Executive Committee, at email@example.com by March 1st.
- Letter of interest (indicating the subject they will be working and presenting on while in Cuba, which semester – fall or spring – and which month they would be available; familiarity with CASA’s mission; commitment to advancing study abroad and internationalization in higher education; and, willingness to engage with students, staff and partners in the CASA Cuba program).
● Written and signed consent of their head of department or appropriate dean of the professor’s respective home university on institutional letterhead.
● Curriculum Vitae and 400-word description of proposed subject matter while in Cuba.
Applications will be reviewed by the CASA Cuba Divisional Executive Committee, which will make its recommendation for selection to the CASA Board of Directors by March 15th.